Liverpool, UK / Remote within UK
We offer a very competitive package, which is dependent on experience.
We are looking for a Senior Engine Programmer to join the code team on a dark, story-driven next generation ‘Narrative Adventure’ with genre defining goals.
This huge, highly ambitious partnership project takes atmosphere, storytelling, player agency and narrative firmly into ground-breaking territory on next- generation hardware technologies.
This project has AAA ambitions with a heavy focus on art, animation and delivering unique character performances to heighten player presence and immersion to new levels.
As a Senior Engine Programmer, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining low-level systems and overall architecture. You will be working on next gen platforms and in areas such as but not limited to - memory management, loading, streaming, physics, platform specific systems, pipelines, conversion, optimisation and more. We expect Seniors to be able to mentor more junior programmers and take full ownership of engine systems.
- Analyse existing engine systems and determine if they meet project requirements. If necessary, define how to adapt them or replace them to better meet game requirements.
- Collaborate with other developers to examine the constraints of the existing engine and content budgets.
- Determine and help maintain CPU performance and memory budgets across code disciplines and platforms.
- Review performance of code and optimize or aid in optimizing algorithms.
- Review performance of compiler and associated build processes. Advise and aid in streamlining the development process.
- Review and support the data pipelines, ensuring that they are efficient and work reliably.
- Create and maintain systems to help code teams with performance analysis.
- Analyse memory usage to identify and solve inefficiencies, errors, and fragmentation.
- Measure and track the in-game loading processes to ensure high efficiency. Create and maintain systems to minimize impact of loading on players.
- Plan, manage and regulate the multithreading environment and CPU core assignment.
- Diagnose and repair the most complex bugs, including creating systems to help in debugging.
- Evaluate, plan, and manage updates of SDKs and Middleware
- Strong knowledge of, and experience of programming in C++.
- Learning specific areas of and debugging issues in large and complex C++ based codebases, that utilise custom tools and engines.
- Experience profiling and optimising CPU performance of real-time and networked/multiplayer/online oriented systems.
- General software engineering knowledge, such as OOP, design patterns & API development.
- Confidence working with 3D maths, vectors, matrices, linear algebra.
- The ability to write and optimise solid, robust and maintainable game code that respects agreed development guidelines.
- At least 2 years relatable experience in a similar role, ideally with experience of working with and a passion for game-play mechanics concerning first person shooting or vehicle-based flight/driving.
ADDITIONAL OR DESIRED SKILLS:
- Advanced understanding of C++ and debugging.
- Experienced with Unreal Engine.
- Solid proficiency in optimization techniques.
- Excellent understanding of CPU and GPU bottlenecks.
- Strong 3D math.
- Strong understanding of multithreaded/parallel programming.
- Previous experience as a Senior Engine Programmer on a shipped Console title.
If you believe you have the right skills and experience for a role on an exciting new project, please email your C.V. and supporting portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Job Reference or hit the apply button below.