Global Butterflies join us for a workshop to strengthen our commitment to allyship
This week we were absolutely delighted to host Global Butterflies who joined us for a Transgender and Non-binary Ally Network Workshop!
Last year, Global Butterflies’ CEO, Rachel Reese, spent time with our sprites for a lunch and learn session; illuminating some of the workplace issues that the trans and non-binary community face and exploring ways in which our studio can best support the LGBTQIA+ community and harness an inclusive, supportive environment for all.
Yesterday’s session offered sprites increased knowledge of the trans and non-binary community and identified how to be effective and supportive trans and non-binary allies.
The workshop covered:
- Statistics which demonstrate what it is like to be trans & non-binary.
- Issues facing the trans & non-binary community in the UK right now.
- Terminology – The complex trans & non-binary terminology jigsaw.
- The relationship between: Sexuality, sex, gender identity & gender expression.
- Trans in the workplace: Titles, names, gender markers, pronouns & transphobic behaviours.
- Why do you want to be an ally and why does it matter to you?
- What do allies do?
- Levels of allyship: Individual, network and corporate.
After completing the session, we were equipped with a deeper understanding of gender identity structures and terminology, a newfound confidence when it comes to meeting and interacting respectfully with the trans and non-binary community, and knowledge of how to be a supportive ally both inside and outside of the workplace.
We’d like to extend a huge thank you to Global Butterflies for this excellent and insightful workshop, and for the informative Q&A section which gave our sprites the opportunity to further discuss and explore topics directly with the workshop leaders. The session was packed with useful resources and truly appreciated by our whole team!
Here at Firesprite, we believe that gaming and game development is for everyone, and we are proud to strengthen our commitment to inclusivity and allyship.
If you’d like to know more about how to be an ally, discover more about Global Butterflies’, their fantastic services and resources here.